This is a spicy blend of vegetables in tomato gravy served with pav that is cooked with butter. This is truly an innovation that arose out of the necessity of providing a nice hot meal in a hurry and one that tickles the taste buds.
1 cup diced capsicum
5 tomatoes finely chopped
1/2 cup onions finely chopped
2 green chilis finely chopped
4 boiled potatoes diced
1 cup boiled chic peas
1/4 cup boiled green peas
15 fresh coriander leaves
80 gms salted butter
250 ml water
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp red chili powder
1 and 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
2 tsp pav bhaji masala
1 tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves
1 lemon juice
8-10 pav’s / bread
1) in a kadai/cooking pot, add a laddle of water, cook at a high flame, when the water is almost boiling add capsicum, and let it tenderize.
2) after 2 mins, the capsicum would be 70% cooked, now you may add the tomatoes, along with 20 gms of butter stick, and saute’ for around 4 mins.
3) add green chili’s and saute’ for another minute.
4) add boiled chick peas, this chic peas were soaked in water for 8 hours and then cooked in pressure cooker until 3 whistles were blown.
5) add boiled potoatoes followed by 1 and 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste.
6) add salt, red chili powder, pav bhaji masala, turmeric powder.
7) since the mixture would be dry enough now you may add around 1-2 laddle’s water.
8) and 20 gms of butter stick goes in as well, mix them well and saute` for around 7 mins. while adding fresh coriander leaves.
9) as the water keeps evaporating while you cook, it’s also tenderizing your vegetables, you may add more water as required gradually until all your vegetables are tender enough to be mashed.
10) now using your bhaji masher, mash the bhaji well so no large chunks of vegetables are visible to the naked eye, this would take you around a minute or two to mash everything well.
11) we’ve to now prepare the bhaji masala for which we’ll leave this kadai at a low flame and switch over to another pan.
12) to the new pan you’ve taken, add 20 gms of butter stick, and when it melts add 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste, followed by finely chopped onions, 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, and kasuri methi leaves / dry fenugreek leaves, saute` for around two minutes and all lemon juice.
13) transfer the contents of the pan which contains the masala you prepared in step 12, to the kadai/ cooking pot which contains the bhaji which is still cooking at a low flame.
14) mix everything using your spatula and mash it well enough using your bhaji masher, no chunks or the fried onions should be visible, the finery you mash it, the better your bhaji would taste.
15) add around 2-3 cups of water accordingly and leave the bhaji at a medium flame, stay next to your cooking pot and keep stirring your bhaji well until not all but most of the water evaporates, by the time it evaporates your bhaji would be cooked, while it’s cooking you may add boiled green peas and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
16) now you can put off the flame of the bhaji, and keep it aside while we prepare our pav’s.
17) on a pan, add 10 gms of butter stick, while it melts add a pinch of pav bhaji masala and a pinch of red chili powder, slit the pav’s from the middle and smear them by skating them over the pan on one side, and flip it over and do the same on the other side, after a few seconds take them off and serve them hot with bhaji, along with chopped onions and lemon wedges to the side, enjoy !
Latest posts by Lipika Debnath (see all)
- Chinese Chicken Lollypop - November 2, 2014
- Teler Pitha(তেলের পিঠা), Patichapta Pitha(পাটিসাপটা পিঠা), Deep Fried Puli Pitha (ভাজা পুলি পিঠা) - May 3, 2014
- Pav Bhaji Recipe - May 3, 2014