North Indian bhindi masala is a simple semi dry curry made with ladies finger or okra. This can be served with roti, plain paratha or plain rice.
Cuisine: North Indian
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients: (240 ml cup used)
- 250 grams bhindi or ladies finger or okra
- 3 or 4 tbsps oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ¾ to 1 cup onions (finely chopped or processed)
- ¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ to 1 cup tomatoes (deseeded & chopped)
- salt as needed
- 1 green chilli slit (optional)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ to 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Water as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bhindi masala recipe
- Wash bhindi(Lady’s Finger) under running water well. Drain them and wipe off with a clean kitchen cloth or tissues.
- Chop off both the ends and discard them. Chop them to 3/4 inch pieces.
- Heat 1 ½ tbsp oil in a pan. Saute bhindi on a medium flame for about 5 to 7 mins stirring often until they are partially cooked. At the end of this step, bhindi should not be sticky.
- Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
- How to make bhindi masala recipe
- Add 2 tbsps oil more to the pan. Add cumin.
- When they begin to splutter add onions and green chili. Saute them until they turn golden.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 to 3 mins till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric
- Mix everything well and saute until the mixture leaves the pan.
- Pour ¼ to ½ cup water to cook the masala. Check the salt and adjust as needed. Do not add too much water.
kasurimethi and fried bhindi. Mix everything well.
- Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until bhindi turns slightly tender and the aroma comes out.
- Open the lid and evaporate any excess moisture.
- Serve bhindi masala with roti or rice