Rathin | Apr 23, 2018 | 0
Punjabi Chana / Chole Masala Recipe
2 cups kabuli chana
2 big size potato
6 cups water
pinch of baking soda
4 tbl spoons desi ghee/clarified butter
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 black cardamom
1 star anise
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 large onions
3 large tomatoes
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (ginger 70% + garlic 30%)
3 green chili’s
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 and 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp dry ginger powder / saunth`
1/2 tsp carom seeds / ajwain
2 tsp pomegranate seeds powder / anardana
1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves / kasuri methi
1/2 tsp dry mango powder / amchoor
1) soak the 2 cups of kabuli chana in 6 cups of water and leave for 8 hours.
2) after 8 hours, the chana’s would bloat in size and the water content would decrease, and this time you need to pressure cook the chana’s n sliced potato along with the water and a pinch of baking soda for 3 whistles, the baking soda helps to tenderize the chana’s.
3) keep the chana, potato and the water, we shall use them at a later time.
4) grab a kadhai/cooking pot and add desi ghee to it, cooking at medium-high flame, when the ghee melts, add all the whole spices, along with onions and ginger garlic paste, saute` until the raw aroma of ginger garlic paste disappears or when the onions turn golden brown.
5) add finely chopped green chili’s and continue to saute`.
6) add chopped tomatoes, lower the flame and add a few spices and condiments like garam masala, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder, mix everything and the best way to cook the tomatoes is to cover it with a lid, simmer at a low flame for 5-7 minutes and let the steam do the magic.
7) after 7 minutes when you uncover the kadai/cooking pot, you shall observe the oil has oozed up to the surface and separated from the masala, which means your tomatoes have cooked properly.
8) we shall now add carom seeds/ajwain, and pomegranate seeds powder / anardana, and mix them up.
9) now we shall add the chana water that we had saved while we pressure cooked the chana’s in the beginning, make sure you mix this chana water along with the mixture well enough so there are no lumps of masala formed.
10) follow by adding the chana and potato now and mix it well enough along with a spatula/laddle,
you can increase the flame now at this instance to a medium flame and cook for 2-3 minutes, and when there is only a little water content left, you may add kasuri methi by crushing it in between your palms.
11) cover the kadai/cooking pot now with a lid, lower the flame and cook for another 8-10 minutes and let the steam do the magic.
12) after 8 minutes, you will observe most of the liquid has dried up, you don’t want all the liquid to dry up, you need a little moisture content to be available.
13) sprinkle some dry mango powder / amchoor.
14) serve hot along with chapati’s / roti’s / jeera rice , and make sure you offer your guests lemon wedges and onions too, enjoy 🙂
PICS COURTESY: GOOGLE IMAGES